Forums » General Art Discussions

Travelling with art supplies

• 24 posts
    March 11, 2013 9:59 PM EDT

I have booked  a trip to Portland this fall for a plein air workshop and am hoping for some advise on air travel with oil painting supplies.

• 51 posts
    March 12, 2013 7:53 AM EDT

Perfect timing.  I am heading to BC today and I am taking paints.  I am flying Air Canada and their website says:

Accepted:

Tubes of oil-based and latex paint used by artists are accepted provided the material is packaged in absorbent material and placed in a heavy, plastic leak-proof bag/container.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/security.htm...

Solvents, as Zan stated are an absolute no-no.  I use M Graham oils so that isn't a problem for me.  I did put a small bottle of walnut oil in with my paints.  Hopefully that won't set any alarms off.

• 24 posts
    March 12, 2013 1:01 PM EDT

Thanks Zan, I had read about taking info on flashpoints etc but thought it might be overkill .  Ziplocks are always a good idea...funny how those caps vibrate off)  I will double check with the carrier before I leave too. Bringing the wet panels back will be the fun part!

Zan Barrage said:

There are many websites that give detailed explanation of how to travel with oil paints. You need to print a content sheet (MSDS) that is readily available from many internet art sales stores including dick blick I think. Also label the paints as vegetable oil colors (non-flammable) double bag them in zip locks and place them in the check-in baggage ( you will not be able to carry them on board). forget about mediums and turps. you can find these there. They will not let you bring these on the plane. Google traveling with oil paint. You will find many sites with sound advice. Here is a pdf from Gamblin:

http://www.gamblincolors.com/newsletters/pdf/GamblinStudioNotes14_T...

• 24 posts
    March 13, 2013 8:32 PM EDT

Thanks John, sounds like commons sense rules.  I am looking forward to seeing your work from this trip!
    John Christie said:

Perfect timing.  I am heading to BC today and I am taking paints.  I am flying Air Canada and their website says:

Accepted:

Tubes of oil-based and latex paint used by artists are accepted provided the material is packaged in absorbent material and placed in a heavy, plastic leak-proof bag/container.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/security.htm...

Solvents, as Zan stated are an absolute no-no.  I use M Graham oils so that isn't a problem for me.  I did put a small bottle of walnut oil in with my paints.  Hopefully that won't set any alarms off.

• March 20, 2013 9:38 AM EDT

Other stuff

From my experience when labeling always use the words " artist supplies" never use the word "paint".

It is also okay to take small bottles of Linseed oil on all the airlines I have dealt with.

You can use a variety of vegetable oils to clean brushes including olive, canola etc. Works well in combination with a little hand soap.

If you are taking a tripod, some airlines consider this as a potential weapon and they require you to add it to your checked luggage.

I have never had issues with bringing back finished panels in small cases as a carry on. 

John